Adult Hematology Program
Adult Benign Hematology Service
The Adult Benign Hematology Service is a partnership among Versiti, Froedtert Hospital and the Medical College of Wisconsin. This partnership has created the infrastructure for a clinical home in which to carry out coordinated short- and long-term care for patients with benign hematologic disorders.
Our physicians bring expert care to patients with anemia, hemophilia, sickle cell anemia, Von Willebrand disease (VWD) and other bleeding disorders and clotting disorders. Though the comprehensive bleeding and clotting program resides within Versiti, adult patients are cared for at Froedtert Clinical Cancer Center’s Division of Hematology/Oncology and pediatric patients are seen at Children’s Wisconsin clinics.
Through Versiti Medical Sciences Institute, Versiti physicians work closely with the Hemostasis Reference Laboratory, Immunohematology Reference Laboratory, and Platelet and Neutrophil Immunology Laboratory to coordinate care for patients. This coordination is often critical to maintenance of the highest level of patient care.
- Create a premier adult benign hematology service for clinical care, translational research and education
- Provide clinical care and consultative services to the adult academic medical center
- Improve adult practice hematology training for hematology/oncology fellows
- Enhance collaboration among Versiti, Froedtert Hospital and the Medical College of Wisconsin clinical and research programs
- Build community infrastructure to support clinical services, research and outreach
Our expertise allows us to provide guidance in a broad range of transfusion-related issues for adult and pediatric patients, including:
- Hemostasis diagnosis and treatment
- Management of thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura (TTP)
- Therapeutic apheresis for a variety of indications
- Management and evaluation of neonatal alloimmune thrombocytopenia (NAIT) and post-transfusion purpura (PTP)
- Management of patients’ refractory to platelet support
- Evaluation and management of transfusion complications, including TRALI delayed hemolytic reactions and allergic reactions
- Evaluation and management of autoimmune syndromes, including AIHA, ITP and drug-induced disorders
- Management of chronic transfusion-dependent patients, including red cell exchange for patients with sickle cell disease
- Transfusion support in red cell antibody cases, including HDN
- Management and transfusion support for patients with sickle cell
- Venous thrombosis diagnosis and treatment