Joshua Field, MD, MS
Joshua Field, MD, MS
Senior Investigator (adjunct)
Senior Investigator (adjunct)
Versiti Blood Research Institute
Medical Director, Adult Sickle Cell Clinic
Froedtert and the Medical College of Wisconsin
Professor of Medicine
Medical College of Wisconsin
Adult Sickle Cell Disease
"Investigating the Role of the Microbiome and Inflammation in Acute and Chronic Pain in Patients with Sickle Cell Disease" NIH/NHLBI R01 (Co-Investigator) 09/01/2018 – 08/31/2023
This project seeks to investigate how microbial exposure and host inflammatory response impacts the expression of SCD pain and identify manipulatable targets for novel opioid-sparing pain treatments that will lessen patient suffering.
"A Phase 3, Multi-Center, Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled, Study of Fostamatinib Disodium in the Treatment of Warm Antibody Autoimmune Hemolytic Anemia" Rigel Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (Principal Investigator) 06/01/2019 – Open End Date
The goal of this study is to determine the efficacy of Fostamatinib in the treatment of warm autoimmune hemolytic anemia.
"The Inflammatory Index as a Biomarker for Pain in Patients with Sickle Cell Disease" MCW/NINDS – R61 (Co-Investigator) 02/01/2020 – 07/31/2022
This project will investigate the development and preliminary clinical validation of the inflammatory index as a biomarker for pain in patients with sickle cell disease.
"MACC/EPPIC-Net as a Hub for the HEAL Initiative EPPIC-Net" MCW/NINDS (Co-Investigator) 09/18/2019 – 03/31/2024
This research provides a network of locations capable of implementing biomarker studies in patients with specific pain conditions, and clinical trials to test promising treatments for pain. Establishing this research network should produce quicker results than would otherwise be possible, reducing the time it takes to improve clinical care.
"SHP655 (rADAMTS13): A Phase 1/2 randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, multicenter, ascending dose, safety and PK/PD study of SHP655 (rADAMTS13) in sickle cell disease at baseline health and during acute vaso-occulsive crisis" Baxalta US, Inc./Shire (Principal Investigator) 02/01/2020 – End of Study
This study will assess safety, tolerability, and immunogenicity of SHP655 in subject with SCD at baseline health and during acute VOC.
- NIH (Award Recipient), Clinical Hematology Research Career Development Award at Washington University (K12) (2007-2010)
- NIH (Institutional Investigator), NHLBI Sickle Cell Disease Health-Related Quality of Life Questionnaire Development Project (2008-2010)
- TRF Pharma (Institutional Investigator), A Randomized, Double-blind, Placebo-controlled Study to Assess the Safety and Activity of TRF-1101 on Microvascular Blood Flow, Vascular Endothelial Injury, and Vaso-occlusive Pain in Patients with Sickle Cell Disease (04/2009-10/2009)
- NIH (Institutional Investigator), Neuropsychological Dysfunction and Neuroimaging Abnormalities in Neurologically Intact Adult Patients with Sickle Cell Disease-Phase II Pilot Intervention Study (01/2010-06/2010)
- NIH/NHLBI RC2HL101367 (Co-PI), Adenosine A2A Agonist Lexiscan in Children and Adults with Sickle Cell Anemia (2010-2011)
- NIH R01 HL098526 (Co-PI), Fibrocytes in the pathogenesis of sickle cell lung disease grant (2010–2014)
- NIH R01 HL095704 (Co-PI), Lymphocyte activation in sickle cell lung disease (2010-2015)
- NIH R34 HL10875 (Co-PI), Feasibility Study of Regadenoson for the Treatment of Acute Chest Syndrome (2011–2013)
- Doris Duke Charitable Foundation #2011101 (Co-PI), Effects of the Adenosine 2A Receptor Agonist Regadenoson on Sickle Cell Vaso-occlusion and Inflammation (2012–2014, NCE 2015)
- NIH R01 HL111969 (Co-PI), Biomarkers of Inflammation and Vaso-occlusion in Sickle Cell Disease (2012-2016, NCE 2017)
- NIH P50 HL110790 (Co-PI), A Controlled Clinical Trial of Regadenoson in Sickle Cell Anemia (2012-2017, NCE June 2018)
- NKT Therapeutics Inc. (PI), A Single Ascending Dose (SAD) Phase I Study to Evaluate the Safety, Pharmacokinetics, Pharmacodynamics and Biologic Activity of Intravenous (IV) NKTT120 in Adults with Stable Sickle Cell Disease (SCD) (2013-2015)
- CTSI, MCW (PI), Intensive Management Protocol to Reduce Hospital Readmission in Adults with Sickle Cell Disease (2013-2014)
- FDA 7R01 FD004117-05 (PI), Phase 2 Study of Montelukast for the Treatment of Sickle Cell Anemia (2013-2018)
- PCORI (Co-PI), Comparison of Patient Centered Outcomes in the Management of Pain between Emergency Departments and Dedicated Acute Care Facilities for Adults with Sickle Cell Disease (2015-2018)
- Rigel Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (PI), A Phase 2, Multi-Center, Open Label, Simon Two Stage Study to Evaluate the Safety and Efficacy of Fostamatinib Disodium in the Treatment of Warm Antibody Autoimmune Hemolytic Anemia (2016-2018)
- Doris Duke Charitable Foundation (Co-PI), GRNDaD: Globin Regional Network for Database and Discovery (2016-2017)
- CTSI, MCW (PI), Functional MRI of the Brain in Adults with Sickle Cell Disease (2016-2018)
- Incyte Corporation (PI), A Phase 1 Open-Label, Dose-Escalation/Dose-Expansion Safety and Tolerability Study of INCB059872 in Subjects with Sickle Cell Disease (2017-2018)
- Prolong Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (PI), A Study of the Safety and Effectiveness of SANGUINATE™ in the Treatment of Vaso-occlusive Crises in the Infusion Clinic Setting: A Placebo-Controlled, Single-Dose, Double-Blind Study in Adult Sickle Cell Disease Patients (2017-2018)
- Cyclerion Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (PI), A Randomized, Placebo-controlled, Phase 2 Study to Evaluate the Safety and Pharmacodynamics of Once-daily Oral IW-1701 in Patients with Stable Sickle Cell Disease (2018-2020)
- NIH/NHLBI 5K 23HL114636 (Co-PI), Peripheral Sensitization as a Novel Mechanism for Pain in Sickle Cell Disease (2018-2019)
- Field JJ, Mason P, An P, Kasai Y, McLellan, Jaeger S, Barnes Y, King A, Bessler M, Wilson D. Low Frequency of Telomerase RNA Mutations among Children with Aplastic Anemia or Myelodysplastic Syndrome. J Pediat Hematol Oncol, 2006 Jul; 28(7):450-3.
- Field JJ, Giannone L, Bessler M, Blinder M. Immunosuppressive Therapy in Acute Porphyria: Safety and Efficacy in a Patient with Bone Marrow Failure. Pharmacotherapy, 2006; 26(11):1662-6.
- Field JJ, Fenske T, Blinder M. Rituximab for the Treatment of Very High-Titer Acquired Factor VIII Inhibitors Refractory to Conventional Chemotherapy. Haemophilia, 2007; 13: 46-50.
- Goers T, Panepinto J, Blinder M, DeBaun M, Foglia R, Field JJ. Laparoscopic Abdominal Surgery in Children with Sickle Cell Disease is Associated with a Shorter Hospital Stay and Similar Rate of Post-Operative Sickle Cell Disease Complications, Pediatr Blood Cancer, 2008 Mar;5(3):603-6.
- Du Hy, Pumbo E, Manley P, Field JJ, Bayliss SJ, Wilson DB, Mason PJ, Bessler M. Complex inheritance pattern of dyskeratosis congenita in two families with two different mutations in the telomerase reverse transcriptase gene. Blood, 2008 Feb 1;111(3):1128-30.
- Field JJ, Glassberg J, Gilmore A, Howard J, Patankar S, Eng B, Yan Y, Davis S, DeBaun M, Strunk R. Longitudinal Analysis of Pulmonary Function in Adults with Sickle Cell Disease, Am J Hematol, 2008 Jul;83(7):574-6.
- Field JJ, Austin P, An P, Yan Y, DeBaun M. Enuresis is a common and persistent problem among children and young adults with sickle cell anemia, Urology, 2008 Jul;72(1):81-4.
- Jennings J, Ramkumar T, Mao J, Boyd J, Castro M, Field JJ, Strunk R, DeBaun M. Elevated Urinary Leukotriene E4 Levels are Associated with Hospitalization for Pain in Children with Sickle Cell Disease, Am J Hematol, 2008 Aug;83(8):640-3.
- Field JJ, DeBaun M, Yan Y, Strunk R. Growth of Lung Function in Children with Sickle Cell Anemia, Pediatr Pulmonol, 2008 Nov;43(11):1061-6.
- Strunk R, Scott Brown M, Boyd J, Bates P, Field JJ, DeBaun M. Methacholine Challenge in Children with Sickle Cell Disease, a Case Series, Pediatr Pulmonol, 2008 Sep;43(9):924-9.
- Field JJ, Macklin E, YanY, Strunk R, DeBaun M. Sibling History of Asthma is a Risk Factor for Pain in Children with Sickle Cell Anemia, Am J Hematol, 2008 Nov;83(11):855-7.
- Frei-Jones M, Field JJ, DeBaun M. Risk Factors for Hospital Readmission Within 30-Days: A New Quality Measure for Children with Sickle Cell Disease, Pediatr Blood Cancer, 2008 Apr 52(4):481-5.
- Field JJ, Krings J, White NL, Yan Y, Blinder MA, Strunk RC, DeBaun MR. Urinary Cysteinyl Leukotriene E is Associated with Increased Risk for Pain and Acute Chest Syndrome in Adults with Sickle Cell Disease, Am J Hematol, 2008 Mar;84(3):158-160
- Field JJ, Strunk RC, Knight-Perry J, Blinder MA, Townsend R, DeBaun MR. Urinary Cysteinyl Leukotriene E Significantly Increases During Pain in Children and Adults with Sickle Cell Disease, Am J Hematol, 2009 Apr;84(4):231-3.
- Field JJ, Blinder MA. Sustained Response with Rituximab in Patients with Thrombotic Thrombocytopenia Purpura: a report of 13 cases and review of the literature, Am J Hematol, 2009, 84(7):418-21.
- Knight-Perry JE, Field JJ, DeBaun MR, Stocks J, Kirby J, Strunk RC. Hospital Admission for Acute Painful Episode Following Methacholine Challenge in an Adolescent with Sickle Cell Disease, Pediatr Pulmonol, 2009, 44(7):728-30.
- Frei-Jones M, Field JJ, DeBaun M. Multi-modal Intervention and Prospective Implementation of Standardized Sickle Cell Pain Admission Orders Reduces 30-Day Readmission Rate, Pediatr Blood Cancer, 2009,53(3):401-5.
- Wallace KL, Marshall MA, Ramos SI, Lannigan JA, Field JJ, Strieter RM, Linden J. NKT cells mediate pulmonary inflammation and dysfunction in murine sickle cell disease through production of IFN-γ and CXCR3 chemokines. Blood 2009,114(3):667-76.
- Field JJ, Madadi A, Siegel M, Narra V. Pulmonary thrombi are not detected by 3D magnetic resonance angiography in adults with sickle cell anemia and an elevated tricuspid regurgitant jet velocity. Am J Hematol 2009; 84(10):686-8 [letter].
- Cohen RT, DeBaun MR, Blinder MA, Strunk RC, Field JJ. Smoking is associated with an increased risk of acute chest syndrome and pain among adults with sickle cell disease. Blood 2010, 115(18): 3852-4.
- Polanowska-Grabowska R, Wallace K, Field JJ, Chen L, Marshall M, Figler R, Gear AR, Linden J. P-selectin mediated platelet neutrophil aggregate formation activates neutrophils in mouse and human sickle cell disease. ATVB 2010; 30(12):2392-9.
- Field JJ, Stocks J, Kirkham FJ, Rosen CL, Dietzen DJ, Semon T, Kirkby J, Bates P, Seicean S, DeBaun MR, Redline S, Strunk RC. Airway hyper-responsiveness in children with sickle cell anemia. Chest 2011;139(3):563-8.
- Field JJ, Horst J, Strunk RC, White FV, DeBaun MR. Death due to asthma in two adolescents with sickle cell disease. Pediatr Blood Cancer 2011; 56(3):454-7.
- Cohen R, Madadi A, Blinder MA, DeBaun MR, Strunk RC, Field JJ. Recurrent, severe wheezing is associated with morbidity and mortality in adults with sickle cell disease. Am J Hematol 2011 Sep; 86(9):756-61.
- Knight-Perry J, de las Fuentes L, Waggoner AD, Hoffman RG, Blinder MA, Dávila-Román VG, Field JJ. Abnormalities in Cardiac Structure and Function in Adults with Sickle Cell Disease are not Associated with Pulmonary Hypertension. J Am Soc Echocadiogr 2011 Nov; 24(11):1285-90.
- Field JJ, DeBaun MR. Acute Chest Syndrome in Adults with Sickle Cell Disease. In: Schrier S, Mahoney D (eds.) UpToDate: 2012.
- Nathan DG, Field JJ, Lin G, Newberg D, Majerus E, Onyekwere O, Keefer J, Okam M, Ross A, Linden J. Sickle Cell Disease (SCD), iNKT cells, and regadenoson infusion. Trans Am Clin Climatol Assoc 2012; 123:312-317.
- Field JJ, Burdick MD, DeBaun MR, Strieter BA, Liu L, Mehrad B, Rose CE, Linder J, Strieter RM. The Role of Fibrocytes in Sickle Cell Lung Disease. PLosOne 2012, 7(3):e33702.
- Keeley EC, Mehrad B, Janardhanan R, Salerno M, Hunter J, Burdick MM, Field JJ, Strieter R, Kramer C. Elevated Circulating Fibrocyte Levels in Subjects with Hypertensive Heart Disease. J Hypertens 2012, 30(9):1856-61.
- Field JJ*, Lin G*, (*co-first authors), Okam MM, Majerus E, Keefer J, Onyekwere O, Ross A, Campigotto F, Neuberg D, Linden J*, Nathan DG* (*co-senior authors). Sickle Cell Vaso-Occlusion Causes Activation on iNKT Cells that is Decreased by the Adenosine A2A Receptor Agonist Regadenoson. Blood 2013, 121(17):3329-34.
- Cohen RT, Strunk RC, Field JJ, Rosen CL, Kirkham FJ, Redline S, Stocks J, Rodeghier MJ, DeBaun MR. Environmental Tobacco Smoke and Airway Obstuction in Children with Sickle Cell Anemia. Chest 2013, 144(4):1323-1329.
- Blinder MA, Geng B, Lisker-Melman M, Crippin JS, Korenblat K, Chapman W, Shenoy S, Field JJ. Successful oprthotopic liver transplantation in an adult patient with sickle cell disease and review of the literature. Hematol Rep 2013 5(1):1-4.
- Lin G*, Field JJ* (co-first authors), Yu JC, Ken R, Neuberg D, Nathan DG, Linden J. NF-kB is activated in CD4+ iNKT cells by sickle cell disease and mediates rapid iduction of adenosine A2A receptors. PLoSOne 2013; 8(10): e74664
- Koch KL, Karafin MS, Simpson P, Field JJ. Intensive management of high-utilizing adults with sickle cell disease lowers admission. Am J Hematol. 2014; 90(3): 215-9.
- Shrestha A, Shrestha A, Jawa Z, Koch K, Rankin A, Xiang Q, Padmanabhan A, Karafin M, Field JJ. Use of a dual lumen port for automated red cell exchange in adults with sickle cell disease. J Clinl Apher. 2015; 30(6): 353-8.
- Karafin M, Field JJ Gottschall J, Denomme G. Barriers to using molecularly-typed minority red cell donors in support of chronically transfused adult patients with sickle cell disease.Transfusion. 2015; 55: 1399-406.
- Karafin M, Sachals B, Connelly-Smith L, Field, JJ, Linenberger, M, Padmanabhan. NHLBI state of the science symposium in therapeutic apheresis: knowledge gaps and research opportunities in the area of hematology-oncology. J Clin Apher, 2015; 31(1): 38-47.
- Karafin M, Dogra S, Rodeghler M, Burdick M, Medhard B, Rose CE, Strieter RM, DeBaun MR, Strunk RC, Field JJ. Increased circulating fibrocytes Are associated with higher reticulocyte percent in children with sickle cell anemia. Pediatr Pulmonol, 2015; 51(3): 295-9.
- Karafin M, Koch K, Rankin A, Nischik D, Rahhal G, Simpson P, Field JJ. Erythropoietic drive is the strongest predictor of hepcidin level in adults with sickle cell disease. Blood Cells Mol Dis. 2015 55(4): 304-7.
- Karafin M, Singavi AK, Irani MS, Puca KE, Baumann-Krueziger L, Simpson P, Field JJ. Red cell storage age policy for patients with sickle cell disease: a survey of transfusion service directors in the United States. Transfus Apher Sci, 2015; 54(1): 158-62.
- Shirel T, Hubler C, Shah R, Rankin A, Koch K, Sheth D, Uhing M, Jones C, Field JJ. Maternal opioid dose is associated with neonatal abstinence syndrome in children born to women with sickle cell disease. Am J Hematol, 2016; 91(4):416-9.
- Karafin MS, Singavi A, Johnson ST, Field JJ. A fatal case of immune hyperhemolysis with bone marrow necrosis in a patient with sickle cell disease. Hematol Rep. 2017; 9(1): 6934.
- Belcik TJ, Davidson B, Xie A, Wu M, Yadava M, Qi Y, Liang S, Ryung C, Ammi A, Field JJ, Harmann L, Chilian W, Linden J, Lindner J. Augmentation of muscle blood flow by ultrasound cavitation is mediated by ATP purinergic signaling. Circulation, 2017; 135(13): 1240-52.
- Field JJ, Majerus E, Staga K, Vichinsky EP, Schaub R, Mashal R, Nathan D. NKTT120, an anti-iNKT cell monoclonal antibody, produces rapid and sustained iNKT cell depletion in adults with sickle cell disease. PLosOne, 2017 Feb 2;12(2):e0171067.
- Karafin MS, Carpenter E, Pan A, Simpson P, Field JJ. Older red cell units are associated with an increased incidence of infection in chronically transfused adults with sickle cell disease. Transfus Apher Sci, 2017; 56(3): 345-51.
- Mager A, Pelot K, Koch K, Miller L, Hubler C, Ndifor A, Coan C, Leonard C, Field JJ. Opioid management strategy decreases admissions in high-utilizing adults with sickle cell disease. J Opioid Manage, 2017; 13(3): 143-56.
- Willen SM, Rodeghier M, Strunk RC, Rosen CL, Kirkham FJ, Field JJ, DeBaun RM, Cohen RT. Airway hyperresponsiveness does not predict morbidity in children with sickle cell anemia. Am J Respir Crit Care Med, 2017 195(11):1533-4.
- Field JJ, Majerus E, Gordeuk VR, Gowhari M, Hoppe C, Heeney MM, Achebe M, George A, Chu H, Sheehan B, Puligandla M, Neuberg D, Lin G, Linden J, Nathan DG. Randomized Phase 2 trial of regadenoson for treatment of acute vaso-occlusive crises in sickle cell disease. Blood Adv, 2017; 1(20): 1645-1649.
- Mehrad B, Burdick MD, Wandersee NJ, Shahir KS, Zhang L, Simpson PM, Strieter RM, Field JJ. Circulating fibrocytes as biomarkers of impaired lung function in adults with sickle cell disease. Blood Adv, 2017; 1(24): 22217-22224.
- Karafin MS, Singh M, Ceesay M, Koduri S, Zhang L, Simpson P, Field JJ. Dyspareunia is associated with chronic pain in premenopausal women with sickle cell disease. Hematology. 2018 Sep;23(8):531-536.
- Karafin MS, Singavi A, Hussain J, Wandersee N, Heinrich T, Hurley RW, Zhang L, Simpson P, Field JJ Predictive factors of daily opioid use and quality of life in adults with sickle cell disease. Hematology. 2018 Dec;23(10):856-863. doi: 10.1080/10245332.2018.1479997. Epub 2018 May 31.
- Yu JC, Lin G, Field JJ, Linden J. Induction of antiinflammatory purinergic signaling in activated human iNKT cells. JCI Insight. 2018 Sep 6;3(17).
- Karafin MS, Fu X, D'Alessandro A, Thomas T, Hod EA, Zimring JC, Field JJ, Francis RO. The clinical impact of glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency in patients with sickle cell disease. Curr Opin Hematol. 2018 Nov;25(6):494-499.
- Field JJ, Ballas SK, Campbell CM, Crosby LE, Dampier C, Darbari DS, McClish DK, Smith WR, Zempsky WT AAAPT Diagnostic Criteria for Acute Sickle Cell Disease Pain. J Pain. 2018 Dec 19.
- Lanzkron S, Little J, Field JJ, Shows JR, Wang H, Seufert R, Brooks J, Varadhan R, Haywood C Jr, Saheed M, Huang CY, Griffin B, Frymark S, Piehet A, Robertson D, Proudford M, Kincaid A, Green C, Burgess L, Wallace M, Segal J. Increased acute care utilization in a prospective cohort of adults with sickle cell disease. Blood Adv. 2018 Sep 25;2(18):2412-2417.
- Karafin MS, Mullins DE, Johnson ST, Nischik D, Feng M, Simpson P, Field JJ. Chronic pain persists in adults with sickle cell disease despite regular red cell transfusions. Transfus Apher Sci, 2019, Aug;58(4):434-438. Epub 2019 Jul 9.
- Karafin MS, Chen G, Wandersee NJ, Brandow AM, Hurley RW, Simpson P, Ward D, Li SJ, Field JJ. Chronic pain in adults with sickle cell disease is associated with alterations in functional connectivity of the brain. PlosOne, 2019 May 20;14(5):e0216994.
- Jonathan R. Lindner, Todd Belcik, Michael Widlansky, Leanne M. Harmann, Matthew S. Karafin, Nancy J. Wandersee, Maneka Puligandla, Donna Neuberg, Joel Linden, JJ. Field. Contrast-enhanced ultrasound detects changes in microvascular blood flow in adults with sickle cell disease. PlosOne, 2019, Jul 5;14(7):e0218783.
- Wright N, Voshtina E, Georger G, Singavi A, Field JJ. Cryoglobulinemic Vasculitis With Interruption of Ibrutinib Therapy for Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia (CLL). Int J Hematol. 2019 Dec;110(6):751-755. doi: 10.1007/s12185-019-02729-4. Epub 2019 Sep 7.
- Chou ST, Alsawas M, Fasano RM, Field JJ, Hedrickson JE, Howard J, Kameka M, Kwiatkowski JL, Pirenne F, Shi PA, Stowell SR, Thein SL, Westhoff CM, Wong TE, Akl EA. American Society of Hematology 2020 guidelines for sickle cell disease: transfusion support. Blood Adv. 2020 Jan 28;4(2):327-355. doi: 10.1182/bloodadvances.2019001143.
- Clayton-Jones D, Matthie N, Treadwell M, Field JJ, Mager A, Sawdy R, George Dalmida S, Leonard C, Koch KL, Haglund K. Social and Psychological Factors Associated With Health Care Transition for Young Adults Living With Sickle Cell Disease. J Transcult Nurs. 2019 Dec 31
- Ruhl AP, Sadreameli SC, Allen JL, Bennett DP, Campbell AD, Coates TD, Diallo DA, Field JJ, et al. Identifying Clinical and Research Priorities in Sickle Cell Lung Disease: An Official American Thoracic Society Workshop Report. An Am Thorc Soc. 2019 Sep;16(9):e17-e32.
- Karafin MS, Simpson P, Field JJ. Chronic Pain Does Not Impact Baseline Circulating Cytokine Levels in Adults with Sickle Cell Disease. Acta Haematol. 2021;144(1):111-116. Epub 2020 May 13
- Field JJ, Kassim A, Brandow A, Embury SH, Matsui N, Wilkerson K, Bryant V, Zhang L, Simpson P, DeBaun MR. Phase 2 trial of montelukast for prevention of pain in sickle cell disease. Blood Adv. 2020 Mar 24;4(6):1159-1165.
- Chou ST, Alsawas M, Fasano RM, Field JJ, Hendrickson JE, Howard J, Kameka M, Kwiatkowski JL, Pirenne F, Shi PA, Stowell SR, Thein SL, Westhoff CM, Wong TE, Akl EA. American Society of Hematology 2020 guidelines for sickle cell disease: transfusion support. Blood Adv. 2020 Jan 28;4(2):327-355.
- Lanzkron S, Little J, Wang H, Field JJ, Shows RJ, Haywood C, Saheed M, Proudford M, Robertson D, Kincaid A, Burgess L, Green C, Seufert R, Brooks J, Piehet A, Griffin B, Arnold N, Frymark S, Wallace M, Hamayel N, Huang C, Segal J, Varadhan R. Treatment of Acute Pain in Adults with Sickle Cell Disease in an Infusion Center versus the Emergency Department: Results from a Multi-center Prospective Cohort Study. Ann Intern Med, 2021 Jul 6. doi: 10.7326/M20-7171. Online ahead of print.
- Sears M, Lanzkron S, Hoope C, Field JJ, Clay ELJ, Padrino S, Desai PC, Neumayr LD, Manwani D, Little J. A Report from the GRNDaD Multi-site Registry for Sickle Cell Disease: Iron Overload is Under-recognized and Under-managed (2020). Phase 1. Paper 11. https://jdc.jefferson.edu/si_phr_2022_phase1/11